Outdoor blinds are a great way to add privacy and protection from the elements to your outdoor living space while giving it a stylish and sophisticated look. But with so many options available, it can be hard to decide which type of ziptrack blind is right for you.
In fact, nowadays, there are two popular options: mesh and PVC outdoor blinds, and in this blog, we’ll explore the similarities and key differences between these two types.
1. Mesh Outdoor Blinds
Mesh outdoor blinds are made from a specific fabric that allows air and light to pass through while still providing some privacy and protection from the sun and wind. Furthermore, the most common type of mesh used in outdoor blinds is PVC-coated polyester, which is durable, weather-resistant, and easy to clean.
Pros of Outdoor Mesh Blinds:
- Good ventilation: Mesh outdoor blinds allow air to circulate, keeping your outdoor space cool and comfortable.
- Light filtering: Mesh fabric filters the sun rays reducing heat while allowing natural light into your outdoor area.
- Easy to clean: The smooth surface of mesh fabric makes it easy to wipe down with a damp microfibre cloth and is also resistant to mould.
- Budget-friendly: Mesh outdoor blinds are generally less expensive than PVC blinds, making them a fantastic option for those on a budget.
Cons of Mesh Blinds:
- Limited privacy: If you are looking for total privacy, then mesh outdoor blinds are not an option. While their fabric provides some level of privacy, it is still somewhat see-through, which may not be ideal for some homeowners.
- Less weather-resistant: Mesh fabric may not be as durable as PVC fabric in extreme weather conditions, such as high winds and heavy rain.
PVC Outdoor Blinds:
On the other hand, PVC outdoor blinds are made from a synthetic polymer material that is durable, waterproof, and resistant to fading and mould. Also, PVC blinds are available in a wide range of colours, including transparent or tinted to let in natural light.
Pros of PVC Blinds:
- Waterproof: PVC blinds are completely waterproof, making them a fantastic option for outdoor areas exposed to rain and moisture.
- Increased privacy: PVC blinds are opaque, which means they provide more privacy than mesh blinds.
- Durable: PVC outdoor blinds are highly durable, making them a great option for areas that are prone to high winds and heavy rain.
- Easy to maintain: PVC fabric is easy to clean and resistant to mould.
Cons of PVC Outdoor Blinds:
- Reduced ventilation: PVC fabric does not allow air to pass through and may trap heat and reduce ventilation in your outdoor space.
- More expensive: PVC outdoor blinds are generally more expensive than mesh blinds.
- Prone to discolouration: While PVC fabric is resistant to fading, it may still discolour over time due to exposure to sunlight and other environmental factors.
Mesh vs PVC outdoor blinds – What is the best outdoor blind option for me?
As mentioned above, mesh and PVC outdoor blinds have their advantages and disadvantages, and in the end, the choice between the two depends on your specific needs, preferences and budget.
However, we can advise that if ventilation and a lower price point are the most important factors, mesh outdoor blinds may be the better option for you.
Alternatively, if you live in an area with harsh weather conditions and require increased privacy, then PVC cafe blinds may be a better choice.
In other words, regardless of your choice, mesh and PVC outdoor blinds are great ways to add functionality and style to your outdoor living.
At Dynamic Home Enhancements, we manufacture 100% Australian-made mesh and PVC outdoor blinds:
We have been installing patio and veranda outdoor blinds in homes all over Australia since 2010. Moreover, we only use the best products from trusted suppliers.
Our high-quality outdoor blinds are Australian-Made from 100% Australian parts. When you get Dynamic outdoor blinds, you can trust you are getting superior quality and durable products built to withstand the harsh Australian weather conditions.